About the Sheikh Usman Gerai
Looking for the best roti canai (Indian Pancake) in Penang to savor? Head out to Sheikh Usman Gerai Roti Canai at Argyll Road which serves the best roti-telur (egg pancake) and beef curry combination. Although the curry is a bit spicy, it tastes excellent when it goes with the roti-telur.
The secret of this tasty meal lies in the fact that the beef curry is prepared with a secret family recipe the evening before it is served the next morning. The purpose of doing this is to thoroughly have the flavors infused into the meat.
What to eat at Sheikh Usman Gerai
The roti-telur is made with two eggs instead of the usual one found in other stalls. Therefore, it costs RM1.50 which is slightly a bit more expensive but the bread is definitely worth the money. For any reason, if you don’t feel like having eggs, you can order the plain roti which is as good as the one with eggs. The plain one is thick and fluffy and it costs only RM1 per piece. It tastes as good to eat it with a cup of coffee in the morning.
The stall is open 5.30am to 12pm 24/7. It closes a few days during Hari Raya.
The stall is located opposite Utusan Malaysia at Argyll Road.
Popular Indian Muslim Food in Penang That You Might Be Interested
- Mee Sultan’s Pasembur – Mee Sultan is a stall that serves the best pasembur in Penang due to its unique peanut gravy. In addition, the stall also offers mee rebus and mee goring which is among the best on the island. Find out more about the delicious pasembur at Mee Sultan here.
- Kampung Melayu Nasi Kandar – The Kampung Melayu Nasi Kandar serves one of the best nasi kandar in Penang. Find out more here why this restaurant is so famous for its divine signature dishes that our former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohd as well as Abdullah Ahmad Badawi is some of the VIP regulars of this restaurant.
- Hameediyah Restaurant – This century-old restaurant in Penang serves the best murtabak ever found in Malaysia. If you are a fan of murtabak, this deliciously done larger version of Indian pancake that is packed with curry flavored minced meat is certainly the way to go for a sumptuous breakfast or lunch.
- Line Clear Nasi Kandar – The Line Clear is another famous nasi kandar restaurant in Penang. This stall has been around for over 45 years and serves the best nasi kandar in town. Find out here the origin of Line Clear and its signature dishes.
- Bangkok Lane Mee Goreng – Like fried noodle? Then you should try the mee goreng (fried noodle) at Bangkok Lane Mee Goreng which is considered one of the best in Penang. The secret of this deliciously made mee goreng lies in the recipe that has been passed down over several generations.