About the Hameediyah Restaurant in Penang
The country’s best murtabak can be found in this century-old restaurant called Hameediyah Restaurant in Penang.
The delicious murtabak is a type of roti canai (Indian pancake) wrapped with minced meat which has been shaped into patty and cooked.
Therefore, the murtabak is more filling and thicker than the normal roti canai (Indian pancake) which usually don’t come with meat. Other differences are that the roti canai is thin and crispy whereas the murtabak is think and not as crispy.
The murtabak is usually cooked on a griddle and served with pickled onions and curry.
Difference between murtabak and roti canai
Of course the murtabak cost more than a normal roti canai does and a normal beef murtabak will set you back by RM3.20. The higher cost is worth every cent since it’s more tasty and gives you more punch with its nicely-flavored meat.
The murtabak served here are not limited to the one with beef filling, there are other version such as vegetable, chicken, mutton and sardine.
In short, if you are a fan of murtabak, do check this stall out. Other than the murtabak, other favorite dishes are Chicken Kapitan, Beef Rendang, Chicken Biryani and Lamb Korma.
How to get there
The stall is open 10am to 10pm and only closes on Friday.
The stall is located on Campbell Street and is about 30m off the junction of Penang Road.
Popular Indian Muslim food in Penang that you might be interested
- Mee Sultan’s Pasembur – Mee Sultan is a stall that serves the best pasembur in Penang due to its unique peanut gravy. In addition, the stall also offers mee rebus and mee goring which is among the best on the island. Find out more about the delicious pasembur at Mee Sultan here.
- Kampung Melayu Nasi Kandar – The Kampung Melayu Nasi Kandar serves one of the best nasi kandar in Penang. Find out more here why this restaurant is so famous for its divine signature dishes that our former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohd as well as Abdullah Ahmad Badawi is some of the VIP regulars of this restaurant.
- Line Clear Nasi Kandar – Another famous nasi kandar restaurant in Penang is called Line Clear located in Penang Street. This stall has been around for over 45 years and serves the best nasi kandar in town.
- Sheikh Usman Gerai Roti Canai – Head out to Sheikh Usman Gerai Roti Canai at Argyll Road which serves the best roti-telur (egg pancake) and beef curry combination. Although the curry is a bit spicy, it tastes excellent when it goes with the roti-telur.
- Bangkok Lane Mee Goreng – Like fried noodle? Then you should try the mee goreng (fried noodle) at Bangkok Lane Mee Goreng which is considered one of the best in Penang. The secret of this deliciously made mee goreng lies in the recipe that has been passed down over several generations.
Best rates for hotels within walking distance in Georgetown