About the Kampung Melayu Nasi Kandar in Penang Island
Looking for the best nasi kandar in Penang?
Then head out to this restaurant located in Kampung Melayu in Air Itam for its divine signature dish.
This restaurant has been in business for over 35 years. The nasi kandar served here is possibly Penang’s best kept secret that is famous not only to locals but to non-locals as well.
VIPs who had eaten here before
Abdul Nazr Abdul Razak who is the proud owner of this restaurant mentioned that one of his VIP regulars is former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohd., who often savored the restaurant nasi kandar on his visit to Penang Island.
Other VIP regulars are Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi and Finance Minister II Tan Sri Nor Yakcub. They have made orders which are taken to Kuala Lumpur by their friends or aides for functions. The restaurant offers over-the-telephone orders for customers who request packed dishes to Kuala Lumpur.
What’s so special about the nasi kandar
The mouth watering home cooked nasi kandar served here comes with about 15 types of dishes with the beef, chicken and fish curries being the favorites.
The dishes are carefully prepared with fine ingredients and a well-balance mix of spices. The aroma of the dishes certainly makes you feel hungry as soon as you arrive here.
The long queue of crowd gathered is certainly not a deterrent to most patrons.
Business hours and how to get there
The restaurant is open 6:30am to 12noon and days off are not fixed.
Stall is located on the ground floor of the two-block flat at Kampung Melayu, Air Itam.
Popular Indian Muslim food in Penang that you might be interested
- Mee Sultan’s Pasembur – Mee Sultan is a stall that serves the best pasembur in Penang due to its unique peanut gravy. In addition, the stall also offers mee rebus and mee goring which is among the best on the island. Find out more about the delicious pasembur at Mee Sultan here.
- Sheikh Usman Gerai Roti Canai – ead out to Sheikh Usman Gerai Roti Canai at Argyll Road which serves the best roti-telur (egg pancake) and beef curry combination.
- Hameediyah Restaurant – This century-old restaurant in Penang serves the best murtabak ever found in Malaysia. If you are a fan of murtabak, this deliciously done larger version of Indian pancake that is packed with curry flavored minced meat is certainly the way to go for a sumptuous breakfast or lunch.
- Line Clear Nasi Kandar – The Line Clear is another famous nasi kandar restaurant in Penang. This stall has been around for over 45 years and serves the best nasi kandar in town. Find out here the origin of Line Clear and its signature dishes.
- Bangkok Lane Mee Goreng – Like fried noodle? Then you should try the mee goreng (fried noodle) at Bangkok Lane Mee Goreng which is considered one of the best in Penang. The secret of this deliciously made mee goreng lies in the recipe that has been passed down over several generations.