The Carcosa Seri Negara is an exquisite pair of colonial mansions set in their own grounds on the edge of the Lake Gardens which was built between 1896 and 1904. The first building, Carcosa, formerly known as The House on the Hill, was constructed as a home for Sir Frank Swettenham, the first British Resident-General of the Federation of Malay States, a function it continued to serve for subsequent British governor.
The second building, Seri Negara, earlier known as the King’s House, was the official home of the Governor of the Straits Settlements. After independence and until 1987, Carcosa was the official residence of the British High Commissioner while Seri Negara functioned as a state guesthouse for visiting foreign dignitaries.
Currently these two magnificent colonial mansions are one of the most visited tourist attractions at the Lake Gardens and they are also the finest buildings that the British has left during the colonial period. Together the Carcosa and the Seri Negara buildings form one of Kuala Lumpur‘s finest boutique hotels and contain two award-winning restaurants including the elegant, colonial Mahsuri Dining Room.
Tel: (03) 2295-0888
The beautiful Carcosa Seri Negara in Lake Gardens.
For more photos of the Carcosa Seri Negara, please visit the following flickr photostream:
Location, Map and Driving Direction to the Carcosa Seri Negara:
What Others Are Reading